Monday, February 13, 2012

Some LOVE for the HATERS

I would say that about 50% of people love Valentine's Day, and about 50% wish the day never existed. I am in the first category. I would venture a guess that my fiance is in the latter category. Disclaimer: these stats are not reliable or valid.

Here is my viewpoint: I realize Hallmark and media and marketing may be the impetus behind getting your loved one a gift or card or flowers, in a way making it forced, BUT let's just be real. Who wouldn't want an excuse to chow down a box of chocolates or eat a chocolate covered strawberry? Who wouldn't want a giant hug? Who doesn't love getting a card- no matter the reason. Who doesn't love the sight of bright red heart decor and pretty pink ruffled hearts? And who doesn't love the smell of fresh red roses?

Now, that is my view for people in a relationship who feel forced to show love on Feb. 14. Here is my viewpoint for those who are not in a relationship: take this day to count your many blessings. Take this day to treat yourself! Take this day to feel loved and show love to someone in your family. Or your friend!

We are told to love others. I find it helpful and convenient that a day is set aside to remind us that LOVE is the most important thing there is. We all need it. We all should show it. Now, what is not convenient is when you have to work, it falls on a Tuesday, and you have a meeting after work...or if your fiance (on your only Vday to be engaged) is in a different state. BUT, that will not stop me from celebrating.

I am decorating and baking and planning on watching one of my favorite TV shows tomorrow night.
Here is a peak at Valentine's Day in my house:

 #1: Pink Popcorn. I made this to give away to friends at Christmas and I changed it to make it appropriate for Valentine's Day. It is SO good. I always have to sample some. Just pop 2 bags of light/natural popcorn, melt a bag of candy melts- in this case pink- and pour it over the spread out popcorn. Be sure to pick out the annoying unpopped kernals. Then toss in Valentine's Day M and M's -about a whole bag and shake with big sprinkles. Don't use the small crystal sugar- it would probably melt. 

 Spread it on wax paper to dry for a little before bagging it up for friends.

 #2: Chocolate Covered Strawberries. This is a gift from my mom. One of these is for my sister...I don't get both unless she is MIA for a long time, then I may secretly eat hers, too. I love these! I would rather eat them in a warm bubble bath in a cottage in the Swiss Alps- but I will eat them at my house by myself tomorrow and it will be OK.
 #3. Fancy Tables: Ok maybe this isn't fancy, but it sure is festive! Most of these things are compliments of my Great Auntie Linda in Massachusetts. She sent me some of these things for my birthday this year. Even though I probably will not be dining with anyone tomorrow night, I enjoy it looking as though I will be.






 #4: Heart Wreath. I made this a few weeks ago. I LOVE it. I took the idea from a blog I enjoy reading: Little Birdie Secrets. How To make the wreath. My mom used red fabric and made a red one. I used three different pink patterns- those fat quarters you get at JoAnn's fabric store or something like that.

Tonight I hope to make a batch of chocolate dipped sugar cookies- heart shaped of course! And watch the Bachelor! :) I wish you all a very happy Valentine's day!! I hope to celebrate with my sweetie when I see him this weekend! 4 day vacation from work!!!!!!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Your post is so festive and made me happy. I love reasons to celebrate. Thanks for reminding me that valentines day can still be fun, even if your spouce/fiance don't want to participate